Becoming an Ophthalmologist includes lengthy schooling followed long residency and continual education and training. As with any physician, the typical path must be followed to earn a medical degree. However, Ophthalmologists must go through continual education and training as new methods are created to benefit patients’ surgery outcomes and recovery. Additionally, an Ophthalmologist typically works in a one-doctor setting so they must be personable and a leader to manage an office and staff.
Dr. Shatz at the SightTrust Eye Institute treats patients throughout Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade Counties including the cities of Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Palm Beach, Plantation and Weston. He has excelled at every step in his journey to becoming an Ophthalmologist.
- Four-year undergrad degree. Dr. Shatz has a Bachelor of Science Degree with Honors from the prestigious McGill University. Referred to as the” Harvard of the North”, McGill University has been ranked #1 in Canada among Medical-doctoral Universities for 14 consecutive years.
- Four–year medical school degree. Following undergrad, Dr. Shatz attended Medical College of Georgia, where he graduated cum laude.
- Internship. After medical school, Dr. Shatz went on to an internship in Internal Medicine at Cornell/North Shore University Hospital.
- Dr. Shatz was Chief Resident in ophthalmology at Hahnemann University in Philadelphia.
- Continuing education and training. Here is where Dr. Shatz outshines other doctors. Not only is he up to date in the latest technologies, he is the trainer! Here are some of his training accomplishments:
- A national lecturer to both optometrists and ophthalmologists
- Assistant clinical professor at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Positions on several clinical advisory panels
- Developed several surgical instruments to aid in cataract surgery
- Patent pending on a surgical instrument to aid in cataract surgery
- Consultation to other Ophthalmologists. Shatz provides consultative and surgical services to his colleagues in ophthalmology, optometry and various medical specialties. He is frequently called upon by his colleagues to treat their most difficult cases and has been recognized as one of the nation’s top ophthalmologists by the Consumer’s Research Council of America.
As shown, Dr. Shatz has followed an amazing path to his education and training by going to some of the top medical schools. His passion for his job and profession has led him to not only seek out new advances and technology but also make create some where he saw the need.
Patients in Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale, Plantation and Weston have a choice of where to go in their search for an ophthalmologist but surgery for the eyes should not be taken lightly. A well-rounded approach to finding the best ophthalmologist will provide peace of mind and bring back the quality of life you deserve.