Dry Eye. Simplified.
A Normal Part of Aging
Although anyone can develop dry eye,
it becomes more common
You Have Options
Our non-surgical dry eye treatments
allow us to optimize and refine
A Trusted Procedure
Intense Pulsed Light is a safe, comfortable, non-invasive treatment with no downtime
Vision Improvement Program™
WHAT IS DRY EYE?
Dry eye disease is a condition that occurs when your eyes do not have appropriate lubrication. Your tears may become inadequate for several reasons, the most common being an inability to produce enough tears or the production of poor-quality tears.
Dry eye can not only cause irritation but can also affect the sharpness of your vision, especially after multifocal lens surgery. Inflammation of and around the oil-producing meibomian glands is a leading cause of this frustrating condition.
Did you know that there is a great non-surgical option that targets eyelid inflammation? Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) is a quick, in-office treatment that can improve dry eyes as well as quality of vision with premium intraocular lenses (IOLs). We recommend IPL for dry eye patients receiving premium implants who have been diagnosed with eyelid inflammation.
WHAT IS LUMECCA-I?
Lumecca is the most powerful intense pulsed light (IPL) designed to treat pigmented and vascular lesions. Lumecca-I uses photothermolysis, which provides a photofacial through the delivery of a comfortable light treatment. IPL has been FDA approved for more than 15 years to remove superficial skin lesions.
HOW DOES LUMECCA-I WORK?
Lumecca-I creates tissue heating which helps to reduce inflammation. During treatment there will be a bright flash of light and a sensation on your skin that feels like a light snap from an elastic band. Redness and a slight warming of the skin are normal after treatment and usually subside within an hour.
IPL FOR DRY EYE WITH LUMECCA-I:
- Targets inflammation of the eyelids that can cause dry eyes.
- Uses flashes of light to penetrate the skin and selectively target fine blood vessels, sealing them, decreasing the inflammatory cycle.
- It can target pigmented lesions and is also a great option for patients with rosacea.
- IPL turns on meibomian gland mitochondria to help “re-start” oil production.
- Kills skin bacteria and Demodex which are a main cause of eyelid inflammation.
- Lumecca-I is suitable for skin types I through IV.
HOW MANY TREATMENTS ARE NEEDED?
- While Lumecca-I is an excellent treatment to improve dry eye symptoms, it is not a cure.
- A treatment series of 4 sessions is recommended separated by 2-3 weeks to provide the maximum benefit.
- Treatments should be performed twice per year to help prevent regrowth of blood vessels and maintain effective tear production.
- Artificial tears and other treatments will still be required to keep dry eye symptoms at bay.
Patients undergoing premium lens procedures deserve the sharpest vision possible without glasses, and this can only be achieved if the eyes have the smoothest surface possible. Dry eyes cause a loss of smoothness, leading to fluctuating vision, especially at near. At SightTrust Eye Institute we offer two amazing technologies to treat a major source of dry eyes by reducing the amount of swelling on or below the surface of the eyelids: Lumecca-I IPL and Forma-I RF.
Lumecca-I IPL and Forma-I RF treat eyelid inflammation and other causes of meibomian dysfunction at the source, helping to boost dry eye control both before and after lens surgery. These treatments are offered as part of SightTrust Eye Institute’s Vision Improvement Program™ (VIP).
Whether you suffer from dry eyes or are planning on having permanent vision correction surgery at SightTrust, the VIP plan can significantly improve your results.
For patients who qualify, we recommend a series of lid treatments with either or both Lumecca-I and Forma-I. Treatment effects typically last about 6 months.
If you have been diagnosed with meibomian gland dysfunction, blepharitis, or rosacea and would like to take advantage of this amazing technology, please contact our office at 954-653-0100. For more information on Forma-I, please click here.